to Newmarket registry office records, in 1828 Reuben Burr sold the
property to the Cosford family.
were prosperous carriage makers and named their new home "Oakland
Hall" after their ancestral
estate in England.
1928, George Leacock, a brother of the famous humorist Stephen Leacock,
purchased the property. He changed
the name to "Sunny Lea Farm", built a stable and rode with the local
elite. Thirty years later he sold his home.
1968 the McClure family purchased what had become known as the "Red
House". It was here that Aurora
artist Dorothy Clark McClure established her Red House Studio.
2002, after almost 200 years of life in the house, Tom and Irene
Ntoulas transferred it into the "Oakland Hall Inn"
where it will be recaptured with splendid food, service and ambience
for many years to come.
working for more than 30 years in the restaurant business, most
people would be ready for retirement. But in
many ways, Tom Ntoulas feels he is finally bringing together everything
he has come to value in fine dining at
the historic Oakland Hall Inn.
personally checks on each table, ensuring the meal is meeting or
exceeding expectations. The staff is equally attentive and knowledgeable.